I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist providing individual psychotherapy, couples counseling, and clinical supervision in North Tacoma’s Proctor District.
Psychotherapy is a calling for me. The spark that ignited long ago continued to build over the decades. The path of serving others, being a part of their healing process, continues to inform my own journey. I am continually learning – reading professional literature, attending workshops, and consulting with colleagues. I also tend to my personal work, self-care, and relationships. I enjoy hiking in nature, music, food, travel, socializing with family and friends, and quiet time to reflect and restore.
I approach people from a holistic perspective, taking into account the physical, emotional, relational, cultural, and spiritual dimensions. I view people not as problems to be solved but persons with vast resources to be known. I hold a healing, therapeutic space that promotes trust. I offer a warm, compassionate, and non-judgmental stance, helping clients to feel safe. I meet clients where they are, while encouraging them to turn towards their pain, wisdom, and potential.
I am trained in a variety of strength-based models that value the innate capacity of the body-mind-spirit-relational system to heal, change, and integrate. These models include Family Systems Therapy, Internal Family Systems Therapy, Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, Bowenian Family of Origin Therapy, Narrative Therapy, and Mindfulness-Based Therapies. I am also trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and Life Span Integration, which I use to address past and recent trauma. Existential Psychotherapy, Depth Psychotherapy – especially Carl Jung, and Milton Erickson also influence my work.
Although theory and technique are important, they are not the heart of psychotherapy. The most important factor is the therapeutic alliance – the relationship between the therapist’s and client’s deepest selves, working together.
Master of Arts, Marriage and Family Therapy
Pacific Lutheran University, 1995
Bachelor of Arts, Community Psychology
Central Washington University, 1991
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Washington State Department of Health #LF00000875
- Clinical Member, AAMFT, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Approved Supervisor, AAMFT, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Approved Supervisor, Washington State Department of Health
- Clinical Member, WAMFT, Washington Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Member, FSTNW, Family Systems Therapists Northwest
- Member, WPCA, Washington Pastoral Counseling Association
- AAMFT Approved Supervisor Training, Part I and II. 2008-2010. 30 hours.
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy. 2007. 60 hours.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Basic Training. 2012. 40 hours.
- Internal Family Systems Therapy, Level I and II. 2002-2004. 180 hours.
- Life Span Integration, Level I and II. 2008-2009. 26 hours.